What a great honor it is to be the Principal of such an outstanding educational community. On behalf of all of the staff at Cedar Grove I would like to extend an enthusiastic welcome to our returning families and a special welcome to those families and students who are new to the school. Students and parents can look forward to working with a highly energetic, talented, positive and caring staff dedicated to providing the highest quality of education. We believe in working as partners with parents and community to provide a positive school environment where children feel safe and secure and are encouraged to develop to their optimal academic, social and personal potential.
Barry Krangle, Principal
Grade 6&7 Students take their geology studies up the Sea to Sky Gondola
CGE Turkey Trot
New Lunch Times
Beginning Monday we will be reversing our lunch hour.
11:50am - 12:15pm Play Time
12:15pm - 12:30pm Eating Time
12:30pm - Afternoon Instruction begins
We are looking forward to having our students enjoy exercise and playtime first then settling into class for a quiet eating time that will lead straight into our daily silent reading time.
Open House…Meet the Teacher
Thursday, Oct 6th 6:00 pm - 7:00pm
Come and join us on Thursday , Oct 6th for our open house. Classrooms will open at 6:00 pm. so parents have an opportunity to meet your son or daughterís teacher and see the classroom space. Formal interviews and discussions regarding your son or daughterís progress will take place during our reporting period in November.
I will be calling call everyone to the gym afterwards for an ice cream social, a few annonuncements and a fun draw.
Kicking off the Year with Spirit Day
Our First Friday Spirit Day was a blast. Our grade 7's did an amazing job building s hool spirit and leading mult-age teams through all sorts fun and challenging co-operative team challenges.
PAC INFO.......Our first PAC will be Wednesday, September 14th 7:00 in the Library
On the Agenda....Cedar Grove is lookinng for volunteers to run this years Healthy Hot Lunch Program. Please see BK if you can help us out.
Sechelt Community Schools (SCS) offers affordable licensed afterschool care onsite at Cedar Grove, Monday to Friday until 5:30 pm, including Early Dismissal days. Supervisor Deb Jackson provides arts, crafts, outdoor and indoor cooperative games, and healthy snack for our participants. Preregister for only the days each month you need care, with drop in available if space allows, once your child is registered with the program. Low Income Ministry Subsidy is available for those who need it. The cost is $15.00 per day. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 604 989-4893. Registration Packages are available at the office.
Experiential Learning Cedar Grove
Over two hundered grade 1-7 students, twelve teachers and 30 parents ventured up Grouse Mountain on September 22nd to participate in a series of workshops designed to enrich and compliment our Science, Socials and Language Arts curriculum. Prior to the field studies, students compared and contrased the biological and environmental differences between black bears, grizzlies and their role in the ecosystem. Our first hand experience at the grizzly sanctuary up Grouse, intiated all sorts of different and more indepth inquiries which makes experiential learning so rich. Our senior students toured the massive wind turbine up Grouse and extended their studies of force, power and sustainabilty with on site comparison of Cleveland Dam.
It was an exceptional day topped off with 90 pizzas and highlighted with compliments from the Grouse Staff and ferry personal for having such courteous students. We are all grateful for our wonderful parent volnteers who made the day possible and our outstanding PAC whose financial contribution made the learning experience affordable.
Our Terry Fox run will take place on Friday, Oct. 2nd following an assembly at 10:45
Please contact me if you are availble to be one of our spotters to halp keep our route safe.
David Roche & Marlena Blavin…Special Presentation
On Tuesday, Sept 29th David Roche & Marlena Blavin will share a very special story with our kids. Publisher of, Love at Second Glance and Excuse me: I am Having a Bad Face Day, David will share stories of growing up with a facial disfigurement. This is an absolutely wonderful presentation that ties in so well with our discussions and goals regarding acceptance, compassion, kindness, our key words and so much more
Primaries 10:45 - 11:45 Div 10, 9, 8,7 6....in the gym
Intermediates 12:45 - 2:00 Div 2,3,4,5....also n the gym
A note from the Cedar Grove Parent Advisory Council:
Please stay tuned to the PAC~website~and Facebook for announcements during the summer and start of the school year. Please feel free to contact us by email with your questions. Please know we~are open~for your suggestions.
We will have a PAC AGM Wednesday, September 30 at 7:00pm. On the agenda will be nominations and election of PAC executive. We need a Secretary and have one nominee for Treasurer. Let us know if you are interested in one of these positions.
The PAC is providing an optional opportunity for parents to purchase school supplies as part of a bulk order in advance. Please see the details on our separate School Supplies newsletter enclosed with the report cards.
Parent Advisory Council Co-Chairs
Erin Kellie, Anneke van Swieten
About Cedar Grove Elementary School
Cedar Grove Elementary School is within the traditional territory of the Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) Nation on the Sunshine Coast, BC. The school is located within SCRD electoral area E (Elphinstone). We are located at 1196 Chaster Road, very near Frank West Hall, Maryanne West playing field, and Cliff Mahlman Fire Hall. Thanks to the hard work of parents and the contributions of our community, we are very proud to have an accessible children's playground on our campus as well as a full scale medicine wheel. There are over two hundred and forty students in attendance within regular K-7 elementary classes and special district programs. The students and staff are supported by very active and involved parents. We all enjoy the grove of many beautiful and culturally significant red cedar trees for which the
school is named.
• Students from Cedar Grove did interpretive research and illustrations of the intertidal life found along the beach at Gower Point and, thanks to the SCRD, they have their art and research permanently installed for all to see in 4 locations along Ocean Beach Esplanade?
• Annually, the Parent Advisory Council presents a bursary to a graduating student from Elphinstone who attended Cedar Grove as an elementary school student?
• The mascot for Cedar Grove is the eagle and the school colours are gold and green?
• Cedar Grove has its own weather station. We have an anemometer and wind vane, as well as a rain and atmospheric pressure gauge. This wireless weather station is a complete system which measures the localized (school) weather and shows it on a digital monitor which is situated in the office window.
• Cedar Grove has Roots of Empathy and KinderSpark programs that are supported by the Roberts Creek Community School?
• Cedar Grove has a breakfast program and an after school KIdzClub supported by
parents and the Chatelech/Sechelt Community School?
• A number of students from Cedar Grove participate in organized sports in the community thanks to the support of the Sunshine Coast chapter of KidSport?
• Students from Cedar Grove participate in the Terry Fox Run, Jump Rope for Heart, support a school overseas (Mango Grove), and do other fund raising and service activities for charitable causes?
• Students from the SHINE, SHARE, Field Road programs and Cedar Grove classes grow flowers and vegetables in various garden beds throughout the campus?
• The PAC and school have collaborated to create a portable Outdoor classroom and soon there will be
some permanent structures in place to enhance outdoor learning and to provide more cover during the
• Cedar Grove participates in the B.C. School Fruit & Vegetable Nutritional program so that
students can access fresh fruit and vegetables at school each day?
• Cedar Grove Parent Advisory Committee has its own web page and facebook page.
The Canadian Centre for Child Protection has created a number of new resources for educators related to cyberbullying to address the diverse and complex nature of this type of online activity. For more information on these resources, visit [ https://www.kidsintheknow.ca/app/en/program-cyberbullying ]Kids in the Know. We encourage everyone to get involved in addressing the issue of cyberbullying and pass on information related to these valuable resources.