What a great honor it is to be the Principal of such an outstanding educational community. On behalf of all of the staff at Cedar Grove I would like to extend an enthusiastic welcome to our returning families and a special welcome to those families and students who are new to the school. Students and parents can look forward to working with a highly energetic, talented, positive and caring staff dedicated to providing the highest quality of education. We believe in working as partners with parents and community to provide a positive school environment where children feel safe and secure and are encouraged to develop to their optimal academic, social and personal potential.
Barry Krangle, Principal
Cedar Grove Presents:
The Grinches Who Stole all the Fun
We would like to invite you to our whole school circus production of:
The Grinches Who Stole all the Fun
Wednesday, Dec 16th 1:00 Matinee
Thursday, Dec 17th 6:30 Evening Show
Next P.A.C. Meeting: 7:00-9:00pm on Wednesday, January 6th
Please come out and join us, weíd love to see you at a meeting and hear your ideas!!
(Babysitting is provided)
Remembrance Day Assembly
Nov. 10th 10:45 AM
Cedar Grove....Halloween Activities…
Thursday, Oct 30thGrd 7 Leadership Program...Halloween Fun Fair
• 10:35 - 11:30 Games & Activities in the gym for Div 10, 9, 8, 7
• 12:05 - 12:50 Games & Activities in the gym for Div 6,5,4,3,&2
• 1:00 - 1:45 Field, Share & Shine....Games & Activities in the gym
Friday, Oct 30th
Costume Parade 11:30 in the gym
Pumpkin Scavenger Hunt
1:00 -1:15 Div 10 & 9
1:15- 1:30 Div 7 & 8
1:30 -1:45 Div 6,5 &4,
2:00- 2:15 Div 2 & 3
ICE CREAM SOCIAL….OPEN HOUSE
Thursday….Oct 22nd 5:30 ñ 6:30
Come on in and meet your son or daughters teacher and join us in the gym for an ice cream cone.
Parent Workshops…The Dinner Series
I am hosting a series of Parent Workshops to initiate discussion around some of the current trends and issues affecting schools and families across our nation. Our first workshop on Oct 29th at 6:00 will be presented by District Counselor Ursula Hardwick and our school counselor, Emily Davies and itís going to be a good one.
Workshop # 1 Oct 29th 6:00 Library
One of the greatest challenges for both parents and teachers is the ability to respond pro-actively and effectively to children who exhibit unwanted behaviors, i.e. opposition, non-compliance, low tolerance, high frustration, anxious and/or angry! Please join us for a discussion and workshop to explore the "functions" of behaviour, as well as hear, discuss and learn about effective strategies and means of communication when dealing with unwanted behaviours.
Please call the school to register 604 886 -7818
(dinner will be provided)
• The PAC meeting this Wednesday at 7:00, and that all parents are welcome to attend.
• The Vesey’s Bulb orders are due by this Wednesday at the latest.
• Fill the freezer Pizza party contest, because we are low on baked good for the Breakfast Program
• Hot lunch ordering is closed till Thursday this week. We will reopen this Thursday till Sunday at 1:00. After that ordering for hot lunch will be closed till
after Winter break
Thanksgivng Turkey Trot
1:00 Thursday, Oct 8th....Assembly and turkey draw in the gym 2:00......
Lucky draw winners.....
Cedar Grove Bell Schedule
8:30am - Warning Bell
8:35am - Instruction Begins
10:15am - Recess Begins
10:35am - Instruction Begins again
11:50am - 12:05pm Eating time
12:05pm - Play time begins
12:30pm - Afternoon Instruction begins
2:30pm - Dismissal
Experiential Learning Cedar Grove
Over two hundered grade 1-7 students, twelve teachers and 30 parents ventured up Grouse Mountain on September 22nd to participate in a series of workshops designed to enrich and compliment our Science, Socials and Language Arts curriculum. Prior to the field studies, students compared and contrased the biological and environmental differences between black bears, grizzlies and their role in the ecosystem. Our first hand experience at the grizzly sanctuary up Grouse, intiated all sorts of different and more indepth inquiries which makes experiential learning so rich. Our senior students toured the massive wind turbine up Grouse and extended their studies of force, power and sustainabilty with on site comparison of Cleveland Dam.
It was an exceptional day topped off with 90 pizzas and highlighted with compliments from the Grouse Staff and ferry personal for having such courteous students. We are all grateful for our wonderful parent volnteers who made the day possible and our outstanding PAC whose financial contribution made the learning experience affordable.
Our Terry Fox run will take place on Friday, Oct. 2nd following an assembly at 10:45
Please contact me if you are availble to be one of our spotters to halp keep our route safe.
David Roche & Marlena Blavin…Special Presentation
On Tuesday, Sept 29th David Roche & Marlena Blavin will share a very special story with our kids. Publisher of, Love at Second Glance and Excuse me: I am Having a Bad Face Day, David will share stories of growing up with a facial disfigurement. This is an absolutely wonderful presentation that ties in so well with our discussions and goals regarding acceptance, compassion, kindness, our key words and so much more
Primaries 10:45 - 11:45 Div 10, 9, 8,7 6....in the gym
Intermediates 12:45 - 2:00 Div 2,3,4,5....also n the gym
A note from the Cedar Grove Parent Advisory Council:
Please stay tuned to the PAC~website~and Facebook for announcements during the summer and start of the school year. Please feel free to contact us by email with your questions. Please know we~are open~for your suggestions.
We will have a PAC AGM Wednesday, September 30 at 7:00pm. On the agenda will be nominations and election of PAC executive. We need a Secretary and have one nominee for Treasurer. Let us know if you are interested in one of these positions.
The PAC is providing an optional opportunity for parents to purchase school supplies as part of a bulk order in advance. Please see the details on our separate School Supplies newsletter enclosed with the report cards.
Parent Advisory Council Co-Chairs
Erin Kellie, Anneke van Swieten
About Cedar Grove Elementary School
Cedar Grove Elementary School is within the traditional territory of the Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) Nation on the Sunshine Coast, BC. The school is located within SCRD electoral area E (Elphinstone). We are located at 1196 Chaster Road, very near Frank West Hall, Maryanne West playing field, and Cliff Mahlman Fire Hall. Thanks to the hard work of parents and the contributions of our community, we are very proud to have an accessible children's playground on our campus as well as a full scale medicine wheel. There are over two hundred and forty students in attendance within regular K-7 elementary classes and special district programs. The students and staff are supported by very active and involved parents. We all enjoy the grove of many beautiful and culturally significant red cedar trees for which the
school is named.
• Students from Cedar Grove did interpretive research and illustrations of the intertidal life found along the beach at Gower Point and, thanks to the SCRD, they have their art and research permanently installed for all to see in 4 locations along Ocean Beach Esplanade?
• Annually, the Parent Advisory Council presents a bursary to a graduating student from Elphinstone who attended Cedar Grove as an elementary school student?
• The mascot for Cedar Grove is the eagle and the school colours are gold and green?
• Cedar Grove has its own weather station. We have an anemometer and wind vane, as well as a rain and atmospheric pressure gauge. This wireless weather station is a complete system which measures the localized (school) weather and shows it on a digital monitor which is situated in the office window.
• Cedar Grove has Roots of Empathy and KinderSpark programs that are supported by the Roberts Creek Community School?
• Cedar Grove has a breakfast program and an after school KIdzClub supported by
parents and the Chatelech/Sechelt Community School?
• A number of students from Cedar Grove participate in organized sports in the community thanks to the support of the Sunshine Coast chapter of KidSport?
• Students from Cedar Grove participate in the Terry Fox Run, Jump Rope for Heart, support a school overseas (Mango Grove), and do other fund raising and service activities for charitable causes?
• Students from the SHINE, SHARE, Field Road programs and Cedar Grove classes grow flowers and vegetables in various garden beds throughout the campus?
• The PAC and school have collaborated to create a portable Outdoor classroom and soon there will be
some permanent structures in place to enhance outdoor learning and to provide more cover during the
• Cedar Grove participates in the B.C. School Fruit & Vegetable Nutritional program so that
students can access fresh fruit and vegetables at school each day?
• Cedar Grove Parent Advisory Committee has its own web page and facebook page.
The Canadian Centre for Child Protection has created a number of new resources for educators related to cyberbullying to address the diverse and complex nature of this type of online activity. For more information on these resources, visit [ https://www.kidsintheknow.ca/app/en/program-cyberbullying ]Kids in the Know. We encourage everyone to get involved in addressing the issue of cyberbullying and pass on information related to these valuable resources.